The project aims at revitalising municipality-owned brownfields by transforming them into sustainable and attractive areas.
One of the most important project issues is cooperation, experience exchange. During the project the involved target group will receive theoretical trainings about planning and implementing sustainable revitalization of brownfields. Exchange of experience and study trips to the project partner territories and other locations in Europe (Czech Republic, Germany and the Netherlands) will be organized. 4 development concepts and action plans for pilot territories revitalization will be elaborated. Methodological Handbook for planners will be elaborated.
Actual rehabilitation and cleaning of 5.53 ha of territories with environmental problems will take place in 4 partner sites in Lūznava (Rēzekne Municipality), Daugavpils Fortress, Krāslava and Skaistkalnis Park in Panevėžys.
Rēzekne SEZ is an institution responsible for the development of the territory of Rēzekne SEZ in Rēzekne City and Rēzekne Municipality and administration of brownfields in it (more than 50 ha). Rēzekne SEZ would benefit from the project by building closer CBC ties in border regions of Latvia and Lithuania enabling institutions to develop common long-term solutions and build administrative capacity for addressing the problem of brownfields that are a common environmental concern and economic encumbrance in Latvia and Lithuania.
Particular project benefits for Rēzekne SEZ Authority would be:
- 3-day training program that would increase capacity of the representatives of Rēzekne SEZ Authority in revitalization and redevelopment of brownfields;
- study trips with possibility to share the examples of best practice in revitalization of Rēzekne SEZ, exchange opinions and strengthen relations with scientific and public institutions on cross border level in the area of brownfield revitalization;
- elaborated methodological handbook that would summarize and analyse information on brownfields, perform inventory of brownfields and identify potentials for the development of brownfields, thereby promoting revitalization and redevelopment of brownfields in the future;
- elaborated concept of revitalization of brownfield in Rēzekne SEZ thereby creating preconditions for revitalization of brownfield in Rēzekne SEZ with total area 6,78 ha subsequently promoting commercial activity in Rēzekne SEZ and increasing quality of life for 24 households;
- generated ideas and proposals for brownfield revitalization in close cooperation with local communities and youth that could be further used for elaboration of concepts of revitalization of brownfields in Rēzekne SEZ.
03.04.2018 – 02.04.2020
Project co-financed by: Interreg V-A Latvia–Lithuania Programme 2014–2020
This article has been produced with the financial assistance of the European Union. The contents of this article are the sole responsibility of Rezekne Special economic zone and can under no circumstances be regarded as reflecting the position of the European Union.